<VV> Cam Choice

EUGENE1938@aol.com EUGENE1938@aol.com
Thu, 17 Jun 2004 13:40:41 EDT

SadekCH@NSWC.NAVY.MIL writes:
Why only new billets?

Chuck,
All of the problems I've had in over 25 years of building Corvair engines
have been with regrinds only.  Never had a problem with a new billet
grind.  If a regrind is not re-hardened, which they usually are not the
amount of hardness remaining on the surface of the lobes is very thin.
This will allow the cam lobes to wear prematurely and cause the loss
of that lobe.  No lobe, no valve action, dead cylinder.  The failures I've
seen are usually on one or two lobes only but that is a cam failure.
Using a regrind on a buggy or racing engine may be OK  since the
engine will not be expected to live very long, mileage wise.  But for a
driven vehicle better to go with a new billet.  If there's a demand for new
billets someone will make them.  IMHO

Ed Corson (CORSA member)
IECC - Riverside, CA