<VV> 90 Degree Oil Filter Change

RoboMan91324@aol.com RoboMan91324@aol.com
Thu, 17 Jun 2004 13:50:17 EDT

Chuck,

Good point.  The plastic that the bags are made of may dissolve in the
presence of oil eventually.  The real problem is when using cheaper garbage bags or
worse, the grocery bags you get at the supermarket.  These are mass produced
with the intent of holding dry objects and not free liquids.  The bags are cut
and sealed at the same time with hot tooling and fairly often, there are gaps
in the seals.  This is OK for holding your veggies but not so good for
liquids.  Using two bags is better but chances are good that you may use two bags
that came off of the machine in close sequence.  If the cutter/sealer wasn't well
adjusted or clean, you could have two leaky bags.  I have done the automation
on these and other types of machines.  I suggest that you do a pressure test.
 Blow into the bag through the top gathered together in your hand, clamp it
and see if the air leaks anywhere.

On a related topic, some municipalities (and states) get really irate if you
dispose of used oil in your trash.  It is considered toxic waste.  Take this
into consideration when you dispose of used filters and oil.

Doc