<VV> Head Number/Size Question

RoboMan91324@aol.com RoboMan91324@aol.com
Thu, 17 Jun 2004 14:39:24 EDT

Grant,

The 1964 engines were 164 CID but still used the same diameter head gasket as
the 145 CID engines.  Chevy increased the diameter of the cylinder to head
mating surface to use a wider head gasket in 1965.  This was because of a
concern for blown head gaskets with the smaller gaskets.  It sounds like you have
the right heads.  Some people bore out the 1964 heads to use them on later 164
CID engines and I believe that the vendors sell adapters to use later heads on
the 1964 cylinders.  Just use 145 CID type gaskets on the engine unless you
are changing the cylinders to 1965 or later type.

Doc