<VV> 102 + 80 = 98?

vzd1s4am@verizon.net vzd1s4am@verizon.net
Fri, 18 Jun 2004 13:41:23 +0000

I read everyone's comments on basically making a 98 hp engine out of the 102 + 80 heads. I am positive that I would enjoy the Late 95 more ( got one in the convertible). But I have the parts to do this and I don't have the pieces for the 95. Also, from what I am reading the 98 has enough power in the range I stay at the most. I really wanted to know if it was feasable. And what the reliability factor would be. I assume that it won't be too bad considering GM used this combo for 3 years.

The comment on the torque was that I figured I would lower the torque peak by installing the low compression heads and bring it into a more usable range than where the 102 is. And I probably won't have to use anything more than plus in the tank. Might even get away with regular if I tune it right.

Am I right in this thought?

See I need to make a decent off the line run, but I am usually at 65 + on most of my trips. My 80 just seems to be at the end of its rope there. And the other factor is cost. I have both engines and the price to do this is a lot less than the cost of purchasing and building a good 95. I am not going for a long term driver here I just need this car to get me through the next year.

I am also going to install a 4 spd that will eventually be installed into my 'vert. I think that will make a huge difference also. The 3 spd gearing is just too wide for highway work.

Thanks again everyone.

Sherman Gossett