<VV> Engine noise question

NicolCS@aol.com NicolCS@aol.com
Fri, 18 Jun 2004 14:25:53 EDT

This sounds like a cracked piston skirt, loose rod bearing, or bad flywheel.
If your engine is/was prone to detonation/spark-knock, detonation can cause
broken piston rings (like you had) and cracked skirts.  Perhaps you had a
cracked piston skirt and didn't notice it when you repaired the rings. Another
possibility is the flywheel.  Usually a flywheel rattle will go away when the
clutch is pushed in.  You can isolate the cylinder by pulling the plug-wire on the
suspect cylinder and seeing if the noise changes.

Driving the car 40 miles at is likely to cause the problem to develop and
spread metal throughout the engine (and get more expensive to repair).  I'd
trailer it.

Craig Nicol

<snip>I originally sent this to Matt offline, but got to thinking he might
not
check his mail for a while, and I need to decide a course of action by later
this afternoon, so I am sending it out to VV for a bit of advice on how to
proceed. -
I pulled into the parking lot at work and as I reved the engine above idle, I
could hear a knocking, sounding like it was coming from the center of the
engine.
As I would flip the throttle, raising it above idle, it would make the
knocking sound again, coming from the center of the engine, I believe.  The
knocking would get louder the higher the revs, and disappear, or almost
disappear at
idle.<unsnip>