<VV> Engine noise question - update

ChiefTAM@aol.com ChiefTAM@aol.com
Fri, 18 Jun 2004 15:33:49 EDT

I just got back from the Chevrolet dealer in town.  Had a couple of old (75
years) mechanics who used to work on Corvair's listen to the noise.  As I
started the car to drive it the two miles out there, I could barely hear the noise,
but it got louder the warmer the engine got.

When there, they revved the engine up to where you could hear the knock, and
then started isolating the cylinders by pulling the wires off of the
distributor.  They ended up thinking it was #4 cylinder.  I then told them that this
was the cylinder that had the broken piston rings and was the one that we
replaced the rod bearing due to a slight scoring on the old bearing.  They said they
thought the noise was a rod, and suggested that I probably should have left
the old bearing in if it only had a little scoring on it.

It looks like I am going to have to tear the engine apart again.  It is
either the rod bolts loosened up on me, the new rod bearing is bad, or perhaps the
crank needs to be reground, in which case I will have to pull the whole engine
as it will have to be split.  Da@#!

I am now waiting for a trailer to be brought out so I can haul it home.......

Todd "dejected and vairless again in Dallas" Miller