<VV> The yokes on you

Clark Hartzel chartzel@comcast.net
Sat, 19 Jun 2004 09:19:22 -0400

Folks,
Are the U joint yokes on a van axle larger than the car yokes?
By larger I mean more stout? All Corvairs take the same std U joint
AFAIK.
Thanks,
Chuck S

The FC's use the same yoke as the car but the axle shafts are bigger and
longer than a car.
It is possible to use late model yokes into the diff by plugging the center
bolt hole, but they are not the same length, so you have to put spacers
between the backing plates and the swing arm to take up the difference.  The
1966-69 stub axle yokes are the strongest.
Clark Hartzel, done all these tricks on my dune buggies.
---