<VV> scam-no corvair

RoboMan91324@aol.com RoboMan91324@aol.com
Sat, 19 Jun 2004 22:07:32 EDT

Hello Spence,

It is highly likely that this is a scam.  The dirtballs rely on the fact that
most people and even tellers in banks assume that a "certified" check,
"official" check, "Money Order" or whatever they are called are the equivalent of
cash and will free up the money in your account immediately.  The problem is
that they can't check the validity of the international check for as long as
weeks after it is deposited.  The theoretical "cash in the bank" gives the victim
a false sense of security so that he feels confident that he can send the
"extra" cash wherever the con artist asks.  Of course, the victim is then
responsible to the bank for the money.  The con men usually give a reasonable excuse
for sending the extra cash such as they want you to send a real money order to
the guy who is supposedly handling the shipping of the car or something
similar.  On the remote chance that it is a real deal, your friend should sit on the
money for a couple of weeks.  Better yet, only accept an electronic transfer
of funds from the buyer's bank to yours.  Obviously, you don't give access
codes to the other party that would allow them to withdraw funds.

Good luck to your friend,
Doc