<VV> Shifter Shaft Still Leaking

VairMech@aol.com VairMech@aol.com
Mon, 21 Jun 2004 08:28:09 EDT

In a message dated 6/15/2004 2:29:42 PM Eastern Standard Time,
goofyroo@excite.com writes:

noticed  the shifter-shaft seal was leaking on my 63 4-spd., so when I
dropped the  powertrain last week I replaced the seal with a new one from  Clark's.

It's still leaking.  If you have any ideas what to try  next, please let me
know.

    Seals are a little tricky unless you understand a  few things about them.
    First they need to be installed square to the  shaft, not the case.
    Second, you cannot tap on the seal web, it will  bend and leak. You must
tap on the outer edge or as close to it as you can  get.
    There are other ticks but these are the most common  mistakes I have seen.
    Ken Hand