<VV> (no subject)

Bruce Schug bwschug@charter.net
Mon, 21 Jun 2004 11:06:14 -0400

On Jun 21, 2004, at 10:44 AM, Scott M Neal wrote:

> 	My experiences with vapor locking on my '66 turbo were the opposite
> of this--if the engine was cold, it would start right up, and run great
> until you stopped it.  Then the trouble began--it would often take
> over a half hour for it to cool down enough before it would start again
> (which made stops at the gas station a bit longer than I would have
> liked, and forced me to physically PUSH my vapor-locked car through
> the US/Canadian border a few years ago).
>
> 	I got a new fuel pump, filter, new fuel lines, etc.  Problem never
> really went away (although the new fuel pump made it happen less
> often).
> The problem was solved very simply--a vented gas cap.  Although it
> sometimes takes a few tries to get going after a quick stop, I never
> get stuck for 30+ minutes again.
>
> 					Scott

The solution is an electric fuel pump. If you don't want to do this,
carry at least one, gallon container, like a milk jug, of water. When
it stops you, pour the water over the fuel pump and liines. Once you
get it started, keep it revved enough to "drive through" the problem,
that is, to get the hot fuel run through the carbs. Then you'll be okay
until the next time it happens. You should probably be running with
your lower shrouds off to cool the engine as much as possible.

Been there, done that, have the electric fuel pump (not the "T" shirt)
to prove it.

Bruce W, Schug
CORSA South Carolina
Greenville, SC