<VV> Boom.

chris czepyha thegeek2@juno.com
Wed, 23 Jun 2004 13:07:04 -0400

Anybody ever have a backfire blow a hole in the side of a muffler.

I was working on my wifes 63, PG,2 CARB.  It will start cold, but did not
want to restart when hot.  The motor spins, but it does not catch.

Cleaned the carbs when I did the engine bay.  Good solid squirts,
audible,  from both when you pump the gas.

Carbs open at the same rate, and the gas vapor is present.  No vacume
leaks.  All new vacume lines.

Idles at about 1050 out of gear, and 750-800 in gear.  As it warms up the
idle speed drops.

Still won't restart hot.

Checked the timing, it was at about 20, with the va plugged and the line
from the carb plugged.  The dwell was at 40, reset to 32.

Its a solid flyweel, is their any place to slip check?  Tried turning the
dist a little at a time.

It started, ran kind of choppy, then backfired, BOOOM, big hole in the
mufler.  It was very rusty, had thought it would need to be replaced
soon.

Car would not re-start.  Had the wife crank the motor while I had the
timing gun going and adjusting the timing.   It re-started, again at
about 18 degrees, dwell still at 32.

It had been running too fast.  15 MPH in gear without your foot on the
gas.  So I decided to trim the idle speed, then the motor would not run
(when hot).

When running the motor sounds fine.  Compressiion checked fine, did not
do a leak down test.

Thanks to all.

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!