<VV> Re: VirtualVairs digest, Vol 1 #619 - 12 msgs

J R Read_HML hmlinc@sbcglobal.net
Thu, 24 Jun 2004 00:35:07 -0500

AM and FM antennae are not the same.  The FM ones are usually one solid
(thinish) fixed length - NOT collapsible.  The AM are thicker (at least the
lower portion) and are collapsible (normally three sections with one fitting
inside another).  The FM ones might not be able to be positioned other than
straight up (don't know for certain).  The AM ones usually have a slot in
the rounded rubber base which fits under the chrome cap.  If the slot is
positioned in the correct direction, the antenna can be put on the desired
angle and then the base "nut" tightened to hold it in place.  The AM antenna
can be pulled out to be the correct length for best FM reception if you have
FM radio installed.  If the AM antenna is left on an angle with the FM
radio, it will still work, but the reception will suffer a bit.

Don't ask me to explain WHY this is.  I'm relating my personal experiences
here.  I had the collapsible antenna adjusted to the correct length (rear
mount), but on an angle.  After experimentation, I decided to leave it
straight up since I frequently travel to the fringe areas of the reception
range of my favorite "oldies" station.  I found that I could get further out
with the antenna straight up and still receive the station that I wanted to
hear.

Attachments are scanned with anti-virus software.

Later, JR
'61 Rampside Standard 4/110 - normal mount fixed length and AM/FM radio
'65 Monza Convertible 4/140 - rear mount collapsible and AM/FM radio
'66 beater Coupe - icemobile 4/140 - normal mount collapsible and AM/FM
radio