<VV> Project Phoenix

AeroNed@aol.com AeroNed@aol.com
Thu, 24 Jun 2004 22:15:07 EDT

Well, phase I of Project Phoenix has been completed. Project Phoenix is the
repair/rebody of the "Deer Hunter." (engineers like give nerdy names to
anything)

I came to agreement with my Insurance company today!

I drove the car to the adjuster on Monday. He thought the car was very nice
but didn't know much about Corvairs and said so. He relied on what I told him
to help determine the costs and work involved for the repair. The first offer
came yesterday, they decided to total the car. It was below the NADA average
and a salvage value of $250. The adjuster said he wasn't too happy with the
offer and I agreed. I still don't understand why he would make me an off that he
wasn't happy with. I told him that the offer was not acceptable and he went off
to "look at the numbers again." When he called today, the number was much
closer to the high NADA value and, coincidentally, the exact number I told him I
thought the car was worth. The salvage value was also higher today than it was
yesterday. I also get to keep the car. The bottom line is that I now have the
funds to get a Corvair to replace the old one (can I call it 'the old one' if
it only had 6000 miles on it since the restoration?).

I'm also planning some improvements. Flaming River steering box, 4 spider
differential, KYB shocks, and some other goodies should help to ease the pain.

Ned