<VV> 65 corsa project update, and advice on books requested.

Stan East sgeast@interlog.com
Fri, 25 Jun 2004 21:48:52 -0400

Hi David

Do you have a copy of the February 1994 Communiqui with the article I wrote
on Canadian built 65 and 66 Corvairs? E-mail me privately with your address
if you do not have a copy. (Sorry I won't do this for just anybody you have
to own a Canadian built Corvair)

I've added further answers to your questions in your e-mail below. Feel free
to ask more questions.

Stan East
CORSA
CORSA Ontario
Air Vairs
4 Clubs organization for CORSA International Convention 2006 - Buffalo

-----------original message----------------
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 15:21:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: Macdonald David <dmacd_us@yahoo.com>
To: VirtualVairs@corvair.org
Subject: <VV> 65 corsa project update, and advice on books requested.

I recently acquired a '65 Corsa built in Canada that
has been stored for more than 30 years....

<snip for brevity>

I contacted GM Canada I now have the complete option
list as built:

Option
A49 SEAT BELTS FRT W/RETRACTOR
C14 WIPER SYSTEM WINDSHIELD ELECTRIC
M20 4-SPEED TRANSMISSION- WIDE RATIO
N34 STEERING WHEEL - WOOD GRAINED PLASTIC
P35 6.50-13-4 PR TIRE - HWY - W/WALL
U60 RADIO

Mystery 1:

The car has a color (colour) matched steering wheel
with a Monza center cap. Looks like the factory wood
wheel was replaced at some point with a Monza wheel.
In one of my boxes of parts I have a horn cap with a
Chevy Bowtie that I think was the original (it does
not fit where the current Monza cap is).

ANSWER

	The bowtie was the logo on the wood wheel horn cap

Is it possible to source an original wood wheel from
somewhere if I want to return the car to stock?

ANSWER
	Yes wood wheels without telescopic are still around but you have to find
them from other Corvair owners or flea market vendors. The hub is special to
allow the "plastic" wood wheel to fit the unique 66 steering wheel hub so
you need the wheel and the hub together. Saw just that at the outdoor vendor
area in Lexington.

Mystery 2:

The windshield (which needs replacing anyhow) is
tinted.
I presume that this must have also been replaced
unless the tinted was stock on a Corsa.

ANSWER

	The windshield would have been replaced as your GM Canada information does
not indicate the option, which was available, when the car was built. Also
as far as I can tell the only Corvair windshields available new today are
all tinted

I could use some more advice on books:
I have the parts book, the factory service guide and
the assembly manual.

I think the Corsa tech guides, or Corvair basics would
help me as well but I confused as to which one is
better.
I'm tending towards purchasing the Corsa tech guide
because its going to be more complete.

ANSWER

Here's my choice and order for books:

Corvair Basics
Factory Shop Service Manual
CORSA Tech Guide both parts
Factory Assembly Manual
Factory Parts Book
Factory Body Service Manual
The Classic Corvair
How to Keep Your Corvair Alive
How to Hot Rod Corvairs

Now I did not acquire my in this order since some of these have been
published in the last few years and my collection started 30 years ago. This
is just the list in order to do a restoration on a street Corvair if you
were to ask for the order to build a race car I'd say something different.
And then there are all the Corviar history books starting with the Corvair
Decade... which you will want to acquire over time. I just bought the new
Chevrolet Corvair book and the 2 air conditioning books at this year's
convention.

And then there is a great site for Canadian Corvair information on the web
run by Kent Sullivan an owner of a 66 Canadian Corsa.

www.corvairkid.com

Stan East