<VV> Re: VirtualVairs digest, Vol 1 #613 - 10 msgs

NOSVAIR@aol.com NOSVAIR@aol.com
Sat, 26 Jun 2004 10:30:10 EDT

In a message dated 6/23/2004 11:42:41 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
virtualvairs-request@corvair.org writes:

> If I am not mistaken, those first years of seat belts were somewhat dictated
> by State.
> As I recall NY State required front passenger seat belts in all new vehicles
> sold in the state starting in 64 and stirred up quite a controversy over it.
> It ended up being quite simple, If the manufacturer didn't install them,
> they could not sell the car. Also in NY was mandatory 4 way flashers in 66
> and newer. That is why some cars have them and some don't. We also had rear
> passenger belts mandatory in 66.
>
> Gary Swiatowy

GM was well aware of impending seatbelt laws. This is evident in all '64
Corvairs (even FC's) by the inclusion of weld nuts for optional front seatbelt
installation...in fact, if memory serves me correctly even '63's had them.

Bruce Webster
'60 500 Sedan
'61 700 Coupe
'66900 Coupe