<VV> Re: Signal to noise ratio

Roger Gault r.gault@sbcglobal.net
Tue, 29 Jun 2004 20:39:56 -0500

Since all the bandwidth today was used up by this thread (which I read all
of, instead of just deleting it like I normally would), I thought I'd add my
.02.

I am distressed by the loss of Ken and the experts that left before him
(actually, I hate to lose anybody), but I doubt seriously if going to a
forum style would make any difference.  Those guys are busy, and they do
cars all day.  It's not all that entertaining to come home and do the same
thing you do at work.  They provide a great service to the rest of us, but
get little in return except for the satisfaction of helping us amatures
out - poor pay.

I personally love the present format.  I've tried the forums, and they're
too much effort and too time consuming for my taste.  It takes no time
whatsoever to delete the stuff I'm not interested in on any given night, and
that interest changes from day to day, so I don't much like categories.  For
example, I doubt I'd have tracked down the information that VWs come with a
small gas heater which I could probably easily adapt to my LM.  I don't need
that info today, but I find it very interesting and may need it if I ever go
to headers.

Yes, there's a lot of garbage on this list, but it's really pretty rich ore.
I think it was Theodore Sturgeon who said, "Ninety percent of everything is
crud."  Except when the whining is in full cry, we're better than that.

There is one HUGE advantage to this closed list, my e-mail address cannot be
harvested by some bot like it can on the forums.  Before I recently changed
my ISP and therefore my address, I had my address posted on a personal web
page.  I'll never post my address on an accessible web page again.  Toward
the end of that experience I was getting approximately 150 spams a day -
mostly offering to enhance the size of various body parts, some of which I
don't have.  With DSL, the offensive pictures came up faster than I could
delete the e-mail.  Now THATs a bad signal to noise ratio.

We've got a good thing here.  Don't @#$% it up.

Roger