<VV> dipping/redistrip

bob mccrum bmccrum@comcast.net
Wed, 30 Jun 2004 11:51:33 -0500

two methods-two sets of pros and cons
1. dipping-most original bodies were dipped for metal protection and for
primering. to remove all the old coatings, dipping is by far the most through
method-but(you know there's a but), before recoating and reprotecting, all,
repeat all, the stripper "must" be removed. In most cars, getting all the
stripper and rinse agents off can really be a pain, especially in inaccessible
areas.

2. stripping-depends on the media involved-choices of stripper include: metal
oxides(sandblasting), plastic media, walnut shells, soda, and wheat starch.
Listing is in order of aggressiveness.  At our airline, we generally strip
aluminum with wheat starch, because most other materials work harden the
metal.  Metal oxides are really aggressive and will usually pit or warp auto
sheet metal (from heat) unless the stripper is really careful.

3. recommendation, in the recent past i have seen several bodies and parts
stripped with soda at a commercial facility. seems to be pretty
environmentally friendly, does a nice job and is easy to get out of nooks and
crannies with just water from a garden hose.

any questions, just ask.  bob