<VV> Powerglide removal

Norman C. Witte ncwitte@wittelaw.com
Mon, 1 Mar 2004 16:29:30 -0500

It's in the fifties this afternoon here in balmy Michigan, and so naturally
a young (or middle-aged) man's thoughts turn to working on Corvairs, which
until now have been sleeping peacefully in the barn.

I need to pull the transmission out of my '65 convertible.  I thought I had
my shop manual here at the office but now I think it is not here because I
can't find it.  Anyway, I was going to just drop the whole powertrain out,
but now I think I will try to remove just the tranny.  My relates not to the
technique (I will certainly read the book on that and post questions if I
have them) for removing the tranny, but to the physical handling of the
trans as it comes out.  I have no clue how much it weighs, or how easy it
will be to wrestle to the floor once it departs the vehicle.  Nor do I have
any clue how I will get it back in place once I am done playing with it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Norm Witte