<VV> Turbo and Dual exhausts [LONG]

BobHelt@aol.com BobHelt@aol.com
Thu, 4 Mar 2004 18:01:47 EST

Hi Frank, Jim and all,

This is the third time that the turbo exhaust system has been referenced
lately and so I feel it necessary to comment. Yes, the turbo system maximum boost
is limited by design and construction so that no sophisticated and expensive
controls are necesary for the stock system. But As Frank said, the restriction
is mainly in the carburetor and intake system. The restriction is not in the
exhaust system.

In fact the mufflers used in the stock Corvair turbo system were specially
designed to have a very low restriction. It is now ancient history, but in the
1970s, everybody wanted to use turbo mufflers to reduce backpressure. The
Corvair turbo muffler was the hot item for years as muffler manufacturers rushed to
get their turbo muffler version on the market. Several of the popular car
magazines ran articles in which they tested the different brands of turbo
mufflers to see which ones had the best flow and least restriction. Turbo mufflers
offered less backpressure and greater flow than most of the stock mufflers being
used and offered as replacements at that time.

If the Corvair designers had chosen to restrict the exhaust for some reason,
that would just have added more heat to the Corvair's already overloaded
cooling system, which would not be a good thing. What they wanted was to get the
exhaust out and away from the engine after it did its work in the turbo.

Regards,
Bob Helt