<VV> Re: VirtualVairs digest, Vol 1 #109 - 9 msgs

NOSVAIR@aol.com NOSVAIR@aol.com
Thu, 4 Mar 2004 21:11:45 EST

In a message dated 3/4/2004 8:36:39 PM Eastern Standard Time,
virtualvairs-request@corvair.org writes:

> Have spinnered hubcaps for a 1965 and the spokes
> rattle like mad. I have tightened etc.  Any ideas on
> how to solve.  Maybe some clear putty like compound ?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> --Matt

Yeah Matt...
  I assume by tightening you mean you've snugged the bolts holding the
spinner and the inner hub.  I'd disassemble the whole unit, toss any bent or broken
spokes and check the main wheel disc assembly for elongated or really out of
shape holes.   You might need to dig into your stock of WUM parts to replace
anything that looks questionable.  Slightly bend the good spokes outwards so
that they need to be compressed to fit back into the holes of the main wheel
disc....this effectively snugs them and prevents rattles.  Bolt it all back
together and hope for the best that can be expected out of 40 year old parts. Also,
thank the Corvair Gods they aren't the 62-63 style wire wheel disc....the type
known for taking a magical mystery tour of the ditch.

Bruce Webster
'60 500 Sedan
'61 700 Coupe
'64 900 Coupe