<VV> 1964 HELP!!

Mark J. Murphy Mark J. Murphy" <m.j.murphy@comcast.net
Fri, 5 Mar 2004 09:05:58 -0500

> I have recently (2 days ago) become a proud owner of a 1964 Corvair coupe.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Corvairs!

>(1) The gas pedal seems to get
> stuck when depressed. It does not go back to its idle position when you
let
> your foot off the accelerator. Can this be adjusted - how?

If the car had been sitting for an extended period before you got it, it may
be as simple as lubricating the moving parts and making sure you have an
adequate return spring. If this all checks out, there is a whole procedure
for adjusting the linkage in the shop manual, which you really should have
if you plan on working on the car yourself and are unfamilair with it.

>(2) Is an after
> market wiring harness available? What is the best way to correct that I
have
> no tail lights or brake lights? Headlights work (except for 1 high beam)

They are available, if you really need one.  Again, if it had been sitting
you may just need to clean up the ground contact at the light housings.  If
you check the contacts in the sockets with a well-grounded test light and
they work, this is likely it.  Otherwise, go through it with a test
light/meter to see where the circut is lost.

>(3) I can smell gasoline when the car is running. Should the carbs be
rebuilt?

Probably, as it never hurts.  I'd look at the fuel pump first (to see if it
gets wet while running) as a possible source of the odor, but even if that
is it you may want to do the carbs anyway.

>(4) Where can I get a good reference book so that I may do some of this
> restoration myself?

I believe most of the vendors have a collection available.  Who you buy from
is up to you, but you may want to look at the "Parts and Repair" section of
the CORSA site (corvair.org) to see who is out there.

>(5) The brake pedal does not go down very far. Is this typical?

Depending on how far is "not very far" and if it still stops, I'd say yes
when properly adjusted.

      ,-----___\----,    Mark Murphy
      \--(o)----(o)--'  Derry, NH, USA
    http://m.j.murphy.home.comcast.net/