<VV> <late spoiler>

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Fri, 5 Mar 2004 09:47:17 -0500

This is a fascinating bit of Corvair history. I haven't noticed any
difference in the handling (at speed) of my 66 with or without its (stock)
spoiler. Can you point to any source for this fact (California headlight
laws, etc.)?
     How much did GM raise the front of the car to comply with California
law? Did they raise the back, too, or did they leave the car "tilted"? Did
they raise ALL Corvairs, or just the ones delivered in California? Was this
done with the springs, or some other way? What was the requirement (height)?
Is that still the requirement? I guess if I were to inspect my 1965 Shop
Manual and the 1966 Supplement that I have, I would discern some difference
in height specifications for the body.
     Tony Fiore's book, although it mentions introduction of the spoiler in
1966, gives NO reason for it, nor effect. The height specifications for the
vehicle in that book do not change from 1965 to 1966.

Joe Potts (full of questions and, occasionally, doubt)
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C and stock spoiler

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of SPYDER62@aol.com
Sent: Friday, March 05, 2004 9:09 AM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: Re: <VV> <late spoiler>

 Right the 65 did not have one, all others did. GM did not add them for any
aero reason but to hide the underbelly after they had to raise the car to
meet
California headlight laws. The law went into effect in 65 but GM got a one
year reprieve because the 65 was already designed and in production.

Rich