<VV> Front springs

Sethracer@aol.com Sethracer@aol.com
Fri, 5 Mar 2004 10:46:24 EST

Bill asked me why Chevy would have changed the springs in 1966, if the
Corvair was exempt. My answer (best guess):

The exemption for the Corvair was granted in 1965, for the 65 only, after the
car had come out. (Basically, Chevy got caught in violation) I was told that
GM, as part of the agreement, promised to raise the car back up. This is
hearsay evidence, but the CHP officer confirmed that the car was a 65, because that
was the only year covered by the waiver. All my 66's, at least until old-age
caused sagging (of the car!) sat higher until I swapped-in cut-down springs to
lower them. I'm pretty sure that Chevy would only have supplied only the
taller springs as replacements. That was their current production part from 66-on,
and they interchanged. (kind-of) - Seth