<VV> <late spoiler>

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Fri, 5 Mar 2004 10:57:42 -0500

I suppose I might clarify my recent report that the spoiler never seemed to
make much difference in the handling of my 66 Corsa at speed.
     I hate to criticize our (my, your) favorite car, but my car has ALWAYS
had a rather light, drifty steering feel, and a sensitivity to crosswinds,
as I suspect ANY light car might. I have taken my car through TWO
generations of front shock absorbers (now running low-pressure gas from
Corvair Motorsports) AND a change from 205/70R13s to 195/70R14s. That's
right - 13-inch to 14-inch rims. The car is MUCH more stable with the 14s,
but I STILL get the light, drifty feeling. AND I've replaced the original
springs with new stock springs of the Clark's variety. That REALLY raised
the car (I did this front and back at the same time). The car is now quite
tall on its wheels. I need the clearance for deep driveways on high-crowned
roads (drainage is a BIG issue here in South Florida - when it rains, it can
do so VERY intensively).
     I've thoroughly adapted to the feeling, and don't mind it at all, but
when people not used to the Corvair drive my car, of course they comment on
it. And I remember when I was in the same situation 8 years ago - I noticed
it then, and still notice it when someone calls my attention to it.
     I'm thinking that I might get the desired/reported effect from a more
"aggressive" spoiler - one that was deeper, and perhaps even had an angle to
it, as some I've seen and heard of do. I doubt I'll take the trouble - I
don't care about it that much. But apparently I care enough about it to have
made my observations, and reported them.

Joe (driving happily, if discerningly) Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C