<VV> VV Boxer definitions

John Miller jncmiller@mchsi.com
Sun, 7 Mar 2004 07:53:40 -0600

 I found this definition on the net.

In 'flat engines' or 'boxer engines' or 'horizontally opposed engines' the
piston s lie horizontally opposed, giving them a very low center of gravity .
Some experts distinguish between V -at-180?nes and real boxer engines. The
real boxer has one crank pin per piston while in the V-at-180?ne two pistons
share the same crank pin. Real boxer engines can run perfectly smooth and free
of vibrations with a four-stroke cycle , regardless of number of cylinders.
The flat configuration fits very well with air cooling. Porsche and Subaru use
the design extensively in their engines today.

(sounds more like an Ad)

Although personally when I think of Boxers something else comes to mind (and
no, I dont think about it much). Just to keep this brief and not trying to air
any dirty laundry here....but Corvairs ...LM's anyway...are kinda sexy...so
wouldnt a "thong" be more appropriate? What about earlies?..........Depends?

                                                  John Miller

                                                  Iowa