<VV> U-joint disaster

Jim Bannister jimster1@earthlink.net
Sun, 7 Mar 2004 14:21:59 -0800

Hi All,

I need to ask the collected wisdom of the VV group.  The other day, there
was a hell of a bang under the rear end of my LM Corsa.  I finally got it
jacked up today to start the repairs.  I knew before that the passenger side
inboard u-joint had sheared the trunion and was just flopping around in the
differential yoke.  What I didn't know was that the drivers side outboard
u-joint was also sheared.  Can any one out there shed any light on the
possible cause of this damage.  Another bit of bad news is that the little
tab that is cast into the left hand wheel hub is broken off as well. Its
function is to prevent any end play in the u-joint cap.  Looks like I'll
need to find another rear hub as well.  It's never as simple as it looks at
first glance.  Have any of the racers\autocrossers  experienced any failure
like this?

Jim B.

'66 turbovert