<VV> First Gear Grumble

Geoff Johnson geoffj@unm.edu
Sun, 07 Mar 2004 19:02:15 -0700

Today we pulled apart the 66 four speed from our Corsa.  The history of
this box is unknown.  It had sat in my fathers garage for 20 years when we
put it in the Corsa last year.  It works great and shifts easlily and
smoothly but has had this grumbling sound in first since we put it in.  We
were expecting to find worn needle bearings or one of the two big bearings
to be worn.  They all looked good with no noticeable wear.  So we put in
new needle bearings and a new countershaft just to be sure.  So back
together it went.  Question is what else could it be?  Or is it just plain
noisy?  Sound is audible whenever the tranny is shifted into first, clutch
in or out and only when the car is in motion.  Only happens noticeably in
first.

Geoff Johnson
66 Corsa Cp