<VV> Re: [fastvair] Which Car ?

Richard Loving ral1963@earthlink.net
Tue, 9 Mar 2004 17:53:52 -0600

Ok, We need to establish chain of ownership, as I was under the assumption
that the Bill Thomas developed the car in 62 and later handed it off to Roe
to continue to campaign (after 64).  Could Roe have started a car in 60 (the
#8 car), later modified by Thomas in 62 to the car we know as #73/361 car
and then sometime after 64 ran again by Roe and eventually turned into the
snowplow racer that Warren has right now.

The car pictured with Roe as the #8 car is either a different car or the
same car before being changed into the #73/361 car.

Looking at the picture of Roe and #8 you see a 60 coupe just like the Thomas
car, but upon closer look you see a different roll cage. The #361 roll bar
drops diagonally down to the passenger floor and the #8 car follows the
roofline and drops vertically down the passenger door frame.  #8 has no
front emblem, #361 does, #8 no scoops, #361 scoops, #8 no fender mounted
CORVAIR emblem #361 does.  The tow brackets for the #8 car are square the
#361 rounded, the 261 has a visible tack in the ashtray area the #8 doesn't.
The 261 car has a wire harness/light plug for flat towing the #8 car
doesn't.

The differences go on and on....the just both happen to be 60 coupes

I believe that the #8 car is not the 73/361 Thomas car but a 60 coupe that
Roe had early in the day and eventually got rid of only to years later end
up driving a different 60 coupe build by Thomas. The 73/261 Thomas car is a
different car than the one pictured in HTHRC but was put in the article
under that belief.

The article references races up to 1967 and the picture is obviously not
current as to the time of the article as the #73/261 car looked completely
different the car pictured in 62.

I think that the car that Warren has is the Thomas 73/261 car , which was
taken over by Roe and but is not the same car as #8 as pictured on pg 21 in
HTHRC as the Arizona roadrunner.

Does anyone have any evidence as to another theory....

Rick Loving
<SNIP>
Subject: Re: <VV> Re: [fastvair] Which Car ?

Hello Warren:  I wonder if there are two cars involved here.  Quoting page
53 of the How to Hot Rod book says the Bill Thomas car was constructed in
1962.  There is also a reference to racing a drag contest in Phoenix in
1964.  Obviously the car would be the car pictured #361.  However the white
car pictured on page 21 of the same magazine shows number 8 on the door and
we know it was still racing in 1966.

THE MYSTERY CONTINUES

Regards, Steve
<SNIP>
<< Is this the same car described as Doug Roe's car in "How to Hot Rod
Corvair Engines >>
It is both cars.
Warren