<VV> Advanced Timing

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Wed, 10 Mar 2004 08:19:11 -0500

I think I've experienced (but not solved) mysterious timing changes in the
past. Although I haven't SOLVED this problem (arrived at an understanding of
it), I have OVERCOME (eliminated) it, by, I think, replacing distributor
components (ultimately, the distributor itself). I think you are dealing
with something that can be caused by a worn points plate and/or a worn
distributor bushing. New points plate is cheap, easy, and often effective.
Of course, evaluating your existing points plate is easy if you know how
(physical/geometric, hard to describe in e-mail), but if it's old, just
replace it and be that much surer.
     As for distributor bushing, that's either do a distributor rebuild
yourself, or buy a rebuilt distributor, as I did, from a Corvair vendor. I
believe I got a Dale reuilt one, but whatever I got, it's been doing fine
ever since.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of GARY READORE
Sent: Wednesday, March 10, 2004 12:37 AM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: <VV> Advanced Timing

I have a 65 Monza convertible with powerglide that does something odd.
4-5 months after setting the timing (to about 14 degrees BTDC) the timing
becomes advanced and the car starts pinging (clattering).  I reset the
timing and each time after about 4-5 months it starts clattering
again.  When I check the timing it is advanced again.  The distributor
hold down bolt is always still tight when I go to reset the timing so
that doesn't appear to be the problem.  Does anyone know why it does this
or what could be causing the timing to keep advancing?.  The car
continues to run strong/well with no problems.  FYI., I drive the car
quite a bit (especially in the non-Summer months) and put about 7,000
miles a year on it. Thanks!   --- GARY READORE--- gary62@ix.netcom.com---