<VV> 65 Turbo

Paula Tilsley markt17@fuse.net
Fri, 12 Mar 2004 06:12:36 -0500

Hi!  My name is Mark Tilsley.  I recently joined Corsa and wanted to
talk to someone about my car.  I just bought a red (orig. yellow) '65
Corsa Turbo Conv. With 100K mi.  It sat in a garage for 12 years, so
I've been cleaning it up, inside and out.  I got it running but it needs
some restoration; mostly interior.seats carpet, etc.  It has 2 engines,
a stock 95hp is in it right now.  The 180hp developed some valve
problems (according to the last owner) and needs to be rebuilt.  My
question to you is do you think its worth rebuilding the turbo or
converting it to the 4 carb, 140hp setup?  From what I've been reading
(Corvair Basics) the turbo is kinda fussy, has diminished drivability
except on the highway, and is expensive to rebuild.  I'd like to keep
the car as "stock" as practical but I'm not looking for high
maintenance, either.  I've been reading about the car.  Does it really
take 10 minutes to warm the car up before the turbo will work well and
then 5 seconds every time to "spool up" the turbo?  I'd appreciate your
thoughts on the matter.

Thanks,

Mark Tilsley
markt17@fuse.net