<VV> 65 Turbo

Duane, Jim Jim.Duane@DigitalNet.com
Fri, 12 Mar 2004 11:28:16 -0500

Welcome, Mark.

	Welcome to the opinionated Virtual world of Vairs!  I'm certain
that whatever you decide to do for power train choices, you will be
pleasantly surprised.

	IMHO...  A bird in hand is worth two 140's in the bush.  "Valve
problems" is a wide open topic.  Since the 180 is already out, at least
pull the valve covers to see if you have a dropped seat, a stuck valve,
a broken rocker, etc.  Certainly worth a look.
	As for drivability, I am a tinkerer and have my 180 set to be a
responsive, reliable, and powerful engine for all road conditions.
After a 5 minute warm up, a 1/2 to 1 second spool-up time is all I
experience.  For all the no/late spooling/unresponsive throttle/leaking
carb stories you are apt to hear associated with the 150/180 are the
carb dripping/synching/clogging seat dropping 140 stories.  All in all,
both are a blast to me.

Jim Duane
'66 180 Corsa cvt.
Colonial Corvairs
CORSA

-----Original Message-----
From: Paula Tilsley [mailto:markt17@fuse.net]
Sent: Friday, March 12, 2004 6:13 AM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: <VV> 65 Turbo

Hi!  My name is Mark Tilsley.  I recently joined Corsa and wanted to
talk to someone about my car.  I just bought a red (orig. yellow) '65
Corsa Turbo Conv. With 100K mi.  It sat in a garage for 12 years, so
I've been cleaning it up, inside and out.  I got it running but it needs
some restoration; mostly interior.seats carpet, etc.  It has 2 engines,
a stock 95hp is in it right now.  The 180hp developed some valve
problems (according to the last owner) and needs to be rebuilt.  My
question to you is do you think its worth rebuilding the turbo or
converting it to the 4 carb, 140hp setup?  From what I've been reading
(Corvair Basics) the turbo is kinda fussy, has diminished drivability
except on the highway, and is expensive to rebuild.  I'd like to keep
the car as "stock" as practical but I'm not looking for high
maintenance, either.  I've been reading about the car.  Does it really
take 10 minutes to warm the car up before the turbo will work well and
then 5 seconds every time to "spool up" the turbo?  I'd appreciate your
thoughts on the matter.

Thanks,

Mark Tilsley
markt17@fuse.net