<VV> Powerglide Dipstick Question

Jon Gilbert jon@gilbertgrp.com
Sun, 14 Mar 2004 11:52:53 -0500

I discovered some ominous looking red spots on my driveway yesterday, and
decided to check the dipstick for my Powerglide.  With the car nice and warm
from a 50 mile, 70mph drive, I put the selector in neutral, went back to the
rear of the car, yanked out the dipstick, and saw:

                          FULL HOT 0  ADD 1 PT  0
                          ________/ \_________/

The fluid level came up to the "H" in HOT.  I wiped it down, reinserted it,
and read it again.  The fluid came up to the same level on the second
reading too.  So the question is, is it overfilled?  Low by 1/2 pint?

How is one supposed to read the dipstick?  There are two interpretations:

1.  FULL HOT is at the "0" marking

                 -or-

2.  FULL HOT is at the "F" in Full.

Which is correct??  And, am I the dipstick, or does this confuse others too?
Thanks much!

Jon Gilbert
'68 Monza Convt, 95hp, PG, Yellow/Black
Jupiter, FL