<VV> Pinion turning torque

VairMech@aol.com VairMech@aol.com
Mon, 15 Mar 2004 07:24:59 EST

In a message dated 3/14/2004 11:53:15 PM Eastern Standard Time,
NicolCS@aol.com writes:
I have never understood why GM was so scientific with the pinion preload when
the side bearings are similar and operated in the same environment and
"notches" were specified for their adjustment.  At any rate,  one and a half
or two
notches seems to work well for the pinion preload.

    I have taken many a diff apart with a loose pinion adjuster, no pre load.
If you understand the forces that work inside the case, you to would be a
little more careful on how you set up a diff.
    The pinion gear generates a LOT of fore and aft pressures and the case
will expand and contract with the pressures. When the case expands then the
preload changes. If you have to little pre load then the bearing on one end
becomes loose and then goes back to where it was. With this process hapening
repeatedly, then you wipe out a bearing and the diff usually goes with it.
    In setting the pinion pre load I have at times had to go a lot tighter
than I thought to get the numbers that were called for.
    The average # of notches will get you by most of the time, but it will
bite you.
    Ken Hand