<VV> Learned something...

BobHelt@aol.com BobHelt@aol.com
Mon, 15 Mar 2004 11:31:17 EST

In a message dated 3/15/04 9:17:03 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
SadekCH@NSWC.NAVY.MIL writes:

> Insert
> in drill and turn in the correct direction until you have what you feel is
> sufficient oil pressure.  I think until the oil runs out of the push rod
> tubes.

Just a comment here......

Most valve lifters have an internal oil metering valve that relies on the
up-down reciprocating action to allow oil to flow to the pushrod tubes. That
means you may not ever get any oil out of the pushrod tips while operating the oil
pump with your electric drill.

Just continue to operate the drill for about 30 seconds after full pressure
is acheved. It might also help to rotate the crankshaft a full turn while
operating the pump to get oil into the drilled oil passages.
Regards,
Bob Helt