<VV> MSD distrbutor -

Sethracer@aol.com Sethracer@aol.com
Mon, 15 Mar 2004 11:58:16 EST

In a message dated 3/14/04 8:08:27 PM Pacific Standard Time,
conn110@hotmail.com writes:
Hi all,

I was looking at an MSD catalog wishing they (or anyone) made modern
distributors for the Corvair. Then it hit me. They design and build MSD
stuff right here in El Paso, TX.  So, if there is enough interest out
there, I will approach MSD about making a run of Corvair distrubutors.
Having them make just one would be far too expensive but if we band
together and make a larger scale purchase, we could reduce the price.

I personally have a 140 distributor. What are the differences between
years and types? Could they maybe design one to fit all Corvair
applications? I would like to make it fully electronic and get rid of the
vac. advance can. Any thoughts?

Chris Conner
65 Monza 'vert 140/4

Feel free to spend your efforts with them, Chris. To save your time, though,
talk with Mike Sharp at MSD. Although MSD already makes an in-line six
cylinder Chevy dist, They didn't want to build a special shaft for the Corvair
application (That is pretty much all it would take). In addition, they would have to
make a new distributor driven gear for the Corvair application, because it is
against their policy to ship dist without gears. (Unlike Mallory). I spent 18
months working with them on this project, even building a mock-up for the
Corvair, using one of their 6-cyl units. I had it at the Chicago Corsa Convention
in 2001 to guage interest. They didn't want to go anywhere with the project.
I still see Mike at the SEMA and PRI shows, I still ask, they still say no.
If you are looking for a distributor with magnetic pulse and no vacuum
advance, they are available. A couple of people have adapted the Chrysler 6-cylinder
reluctor and pick-up into the Corvair. I have done approximately a dozen. The
ones I built are for racing. I toss the vacuum advance plate, retaining only
the main plate, with the mechanical advance still operable. There are street
kits to mount the reluctor on the vacuum advance plate. Vacuum advance is
really the best for a street-driven car, since the advance becomes load-sensitive,
helping your gas mileage.  I heard this past week-end that someone is
adapting-in the GM S10 reluctor and pickup module. I haven't seen this yet, just
heard.  -Seth Emerson