<VV> Learned something...

Sadek Charles H DLVA SadekCH@NSWC.NAVY.MIL
Mon, 15 Mar 2004 13:27:28 -0500

Bob,

            Interesting observation.  So far, I have observed the oil coming
out the push rod ends.  I do have to run the pump much more than 30 sec.  I
also see 60-80 psi with a drill motor turning the oil pump.

Chuck S
YS73

-----Original Message-----
From: BobHelt@aol.com [mailto:BobHelt@aol.com]
Sent: Monday, March 15, 2004 11:31 AM
To: SadekCH@nswc.navy.mil; BEllison@bbafiberweb.com;
virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: Re: <VV> Learned something...

In a message dated 3/15/04 9:17:03 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
SadekCH@NSWC.NAVY.MIL writes:

Insert
in drill and turn in the correct direction until you have what you feel is
sufficient oil pressure.  I think until the oil runs out of the push rod
tubes.

Just a comment here......

Most valve lifters have an internal oil metering valve that relies on the
up-down reciprocating action to allow oil to flow to the pushrod tubes. That
means you may not ever get any oil out of the pushrod tips while operating
the oil pump with your electric drill.

Just continue to operate the drill for about 30 seconds after full pressure
is acheved. It might also help to rotate the crankshaft a full turn while
operating the pump to get oil into the drilled oil passages.
Regards,
Bob Helt