<VV> Pinion preload

BobHelt@aol.com BobHelt@aol.com
Mon, 15 Mar 2004 15:52:45 EST

Just though that I'd throw in my 2 cents.

It has always concerned me that the Shop Manuals have you set the pinion
preload on top of the preload on the side bearings. To me one can't accurately set
the pinion preload with the side bearings affecting it.

I know that the flat rate guys want to do things fast, but why not set the
pinion preload without having the ring gear in the carrier? That way you would
just be measuring one thing at a time. Seems much more straight-forward to me.
And maybe one could then set the pinion preload by 2-3 notches in from the
zero point, and not need a beam-type torque wrench that reads in-lbs.

My procedure would then be as follows:

Install pinion shaft with bearings in the carrier. No ring gear assembly.

Set preload and mark positions.

Remove pinion shaft.

Install ring gear assembly per manual.

Install pinion shaft per manual.

Set side gear preloads per manual.

Return pinion shaft to already set preload.

Continue per manual.

Regards,
Bob Helt