<VV> Diff Adjustment Confusion

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Mon, 15 Mar 2004 19:08:38 -0500

OK- for all you 15/16" nuts:
     The apexes of a 15/16" nut will engage the internal grooves of the
pinion shaft perfectly. Problem: the number of teeth in a pinion-shaft bore,
although EVEN, is NOT 12 (or 6, or 18). It's something else (14? 10?).
THEREFORE, grind four of the apexes off, leaving only 1 pair of them, 180
degrees opposed. Now, the hex will drop straight through the teeth to the
opposite end of the pinion shaft (DON'T let it do that - you might never get
it back out!).
     At this point, my memory is shaky (no diff or shaft out to look at). I
THINK the teeth inside the pinion shaft don't begin until some distance
inside the shaft (outer end smooth inside). IF this is the case, get a BOLT
with a 15/16" head of sufficient length to engage the bore teeth and
protrude out of the pinion shaft sufficiently to hold TWO nuts (ANY hex that
comes with the requisite thread on it, which thread I don't recall - work
that out with samples at the hardware store). Now, you will apply the torque
wrench to the outer of these two nuts (tightened against each other), so you
need the socket that fits THAT nut (very likely also 15/16"). I think I
placed a flat washer between the two nuts to keep the assembly from falling
into the pinion shaft.
     Now crank away - you've got positive, solid, bidirectional engagement,
easily inserted and removed.
     Craig, if you like this idea, consider it a Tech Tip submitted for the
Communique. It's of my own origination, and I HAVE done it - it works great.
I can make drawings, but I can't check the depth needed to engage the pinion
shaft - someone with one handy will have to work that out.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C