<VV> Pinion preload

BobHelt@aol.com BobHelt@aol.com
Tue, 16 Mar 2004 01:15:15 EST

In a message dated 3/15/04 10:27:06 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
dsjkling@sbcglobal.net writes:

> Maybe I'm missing something but don't you think that the
> Pinion preload as designated in the shop manual is  including the drag of
> the carrier bearings that were already preloaded and the drag from the gears
> themselves?

Dan,
I suggest that you read the preload procedure in the SM. There you will see a
separate preload specified for just the pinion shaft without the drag of the
side bearings. This is what you want to set.  The measurement of that preload
though is with, and including, the load of the side bearings. It would seem
more accurate to measure the pinion preload separately, and without the load of
the side bearings.

Of course you should use whatever works for you. This is just a theoretical
discussion, unless you can use the (2 or 3) adjustment notches instead of an
inch-lb  beam torque wrench and special adapter (which of course everybody has).
Then it becomes a tech tip.
Regards,
Bob Helt