<VV> Fan belt problems

Mike Kost vairmike@sbcglobal.net
Tue, 16 Mar 2004 08:25:09 -0600

jryall@juno.com wrote:

>The fan belt should be loose enough that you can turn the alternator
>pulley by hand fairly easily.  Check to be sure the pulleys are free from
>rust.  They should be smooth so  the belt can slip.  The original Corvair
>belts were special construction and (a lot of controversy here) many
>belts from your FLAPS (favorite local auto parts store) won't work,
>especially with a manual shift car that is aggressively driven.  The belt
>frequently comes off on the downshift, when the inertia of the blower
>stretches the belt and it flips over or breaks.  Many racers lubricate
>their belts with silicone spray or other oil to encourage the belt to
>slip rather than stretch.
>
>John Ryall

I also seem to have noticed that if  your flywheel is getting loose/out
of balance this seems to happen more frequently. I have not had this
trouble since I installed a Dale bolted and balanced flywheel. Also
check that none of your pulleys are bent and that your harmonic balancer
is not coming apart.

--
Mike Kost
Show-Me Corvair Club