<VV> Re: MSD distrbutor -

John jdozsa@carr.org
Tue, 16 Mar 2004 09:39:27 -0500

For those of you Do It Yourself (DYI) individuals with some electronic
assembly skills that a look at:

<http://www.bgsoflex.com/mjl/mjl_edis.html>

It describes the design goals for a modern electronic spark ignition
system that eliminates the distributor and sets the ignition advance
function using an MAP sensor and a programmable lookup table.  It uses a
36 tooth crankshaft wheel with sensor for timing and ignition electronic
modules used on Ford vehicles.  There is no need for a distributor.
Three ignition coils are used in the wasted spark mode, i.e., two plugs
are fired at once.  While the DYI project has had some twists and turns
in its development it is now available in kit form.  Take a look at the
"Ignition Options" choice at:

<http://www.megasquirt.info/allQs.htm>

The links will take you to various hardware choices for an ignition
controller.  "Megajolt Lite Jr" is the most compact and simplest to
understand.  The link to it, <http://picasso.org/mjlj> has been down for
the last couple of days but check back later.  I purchased the printed
circuit board and pre-programmed chip and when better weather arrives
I'll be in the junkyards acquiring the Ford stuff.

John