<VV> Fan belt problems

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Tue, 16 Mar 2004 10:06:06 -0500

Most people new to Corvairs put their belts on too tight (please refrain
from "humor"). Try putting it on looser. Since you didn't give the year of
your Corvair, I don't know whether you have belt guards to use/adjust, but
even if you don't (earlier years), these can be added.
     When the belt is on right, you can still turn the alternator pulley by
a finger on a blade of the fan. This is the fan on the alternator. This is
with the belt tensioned and all ready to go. Yes - looser than you would put
a fan belt on another car. The "alt position" can't be "adjusted" by any
method I'm aware of. The only adjustment is the idler.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of Paula Tilsley
Sent: Tuesday, March 16, 2004 5:47 AM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: <VV> Fan belt problems

I have owned my Corvair about 3 weeks and have been through as many fan
belts.  They all do the same thing before they break.  The belt coming
off the alt. flips on its back on the rear flange of the crank pulley.
It will actually stay like that until I catch it or it breaks.  Ive
tried flipping the belt when I catch it.  Does this work?  I tension to
= deflection.  Would adjusting the alt position or a pulley tensioner
help?