<VV> Bad smell

Ron RBlachut@adelphia.net
Tue, 16 Mar 2004 20:39:52 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

Cecil,

Time has a way of erasing memories!  Up until the early 1970s there were no
real pollution controls, evaporative canisters to absorb fuel vapors, smog
pumps, carbs with fixed idle screws, air cleaners plumbed to the exhaust
manifold to warm the engine quickly, oxygen sensors, catalytic convertors
etc.  I forgot all about the smells until I bought a couple Corvairs and a
1965 Ford Econoline Pickup truck with a 200cid Falcon engine.

In my opinion, it is even worse when the engine is warmed from driving and
the car is parked in a closed garage.  The heat from the engine, heats up
and evaporates some fuel in the float bowls and causes a horrible stench
which is especially noticeable if the garage is attached to the house.  Ugh!

When the engine is started from a cold state the choke provides a very rich
mixture and a lot of that doesn't get burned.  Check out the exhaust when
you start the engine and it will probably exhibit some black smoke.  That is
unburned fuel.  It will also have a lot of moisture in the exhaust due to
condensation and the fact that the exhaust system is not hot enough to dry
up the moisture.  You may even see some black, sooty drops under the exhaust
outlet or on a wall if the pipe is facing away from the car.

In my opinion, it is a normal condition and nothing to be concerned with
especially because, as you say, "The smell seems to go away after the car is
warmed up."

Maybe someone else has other ideas but like I said, it is my opinion!

Ron Blachut
Queensbury, NY 12804
Member CORSA, Virtual Vairs, Fastvair, OldEconolines, 2Cylinder Hondas
http://www.corvaircorsa.com/cannonball01.html
http://www.cannonball-corvair.com/
http://www.corvaircorsa.com/blachut01.html