<VV> more on Pinion preload

BobHelt@aol.com BobHelt@aol.com
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 12:52:26 EST

In a message dated 3/17/04 6:19:47 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
VairMech@aol.com writes:

> This is
> where you get the INITIAL turning torque, not the rolling turning torque.

I guess that I take a different view on what the Shop manuals are saying. I
am assuming that they want you to measure the rolling torque and NOT the
break-away torque. Their use of "intial " does not mean breakaway as I see it, but
is used to meant "first". That is why they also use the word "final" meaning a
last measurement. Initial and final go together as I see it.

Anybody else got any thought here?
Regards,
Bob Helt