<VV> Bad smell

Bill Elliott Bill Elliott" <corvair@fnader.com
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 14:51:19 -0500

>If one observes their lawn mower on first start up they will observe the
>black soot and odd smell with today's gas.  I wonder if it is really the gas
>or are we are just not used to the smell with today's pollution control
>devices on cars.

Well, the "sulphur" smell is usually the cat in a modern car... but the fuels range greatly themselves. And any
alcohol "enhanced" fuel or an with MBTE is very noticeably offensive.

Amoco (now BP) "Ultimate" is the least offensive to my nose... by itself and/or burning in a car.

I recently found CAM104 leaded racing fuel at a local station... and have been using that (in a mix with 93
octane Amoco) in a few of my cars that really _need_ it (Mini with MG Metro engine, MG Metro Turbo... A-
series engines in this tune are very stressed and exhibit horrible damage in "normal" use... HUGE
warnings in the Turbo's owner's manual warning against EVER using unleaded fuel...).

The other day I fired off the Mini and the aroma just "caught" me... suddenly I had visions of my childhood...
then realized I was smelling the leaded fuel burning. Quite nice... though I'm old enough to remember that
being the overwhelmingly dominant smell in cities.... not so nice...

Bill Elliott