<VV> oil leak

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Thu, 18 Mar 2004 08:32:43 -0500

Torque is (theoretically) correct. Lower shrouds are at the bottom of the
engine on the SIDES. Check your Shop Manual for this terminology, and
pictures.
     Your oil leak is either pushrod tubes (you've got six of these on each
side, each with two ends to leak from) and/or top cover. Pushrod tubes are
more likely - replace all 24 of them (and the 12 rocker stud seals that come
in the o-ring set - 36 o-rings in all).

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of Cody White
Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 11:26 PM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: <VV> oil leak

okay after we put the engine in the car it sat for awhile until we could run
it.. and during this time there was oil.. a very slow slow drip every 5
minutes coming down both sides.. from everyhwere... dripping off the heads..
the exhast manifold clamp studs.. now we torqued the valve cover bolts to 60
inch pounds (as the chassis shop manual said) so with a ft lb wrnech we
tourqued it to 5 ft lbs (60 inch pounds/12 inch per pound = 5 ft lbs..
correct)? to hope that was the problem and it still appeared to leak oil
from every direction.. but very very slowly... and now monday night we
started the car for the first time.. and oil leaked bad... a very
predictable drip very quickly (this is only when it is running) does this
help at all? (and the lower shroud is that the heater shrouding?)