<VV> ATV lift

John McMahon jmac2112@adelphia.net
Thu, 18 Mar 2004 19:26:22 -0500

I removed my entire power train over the summer using the HF ATV lift (the
yellow one).  When I built the Finch cart, I had to add two pieces of wood
on the bottom of the cart, inward from the two in the diagram, because the
arms on the lift are too narrow to use the cart without this modification.
Anyway, once I got past this problem, I started out with the car on four
jackstands and level with the ground.  I was easily able to get the whole
powertrain detached, including the transmission bracket, and get it on the
cart, but the problem came when lowering the engine.  First of all, I think
I should have checked and bled the jack, because mine wants to come down
FAST!  Something is clearly not right.  Nevertheless, the first real problem
I encountered was that I bent the end of the shifter shaft (manual trans)
because I didn't pay enough attention to what was in the way of the
transmission mounting bracket on its way down.  Once I got past that hurdle
and got the engine lowered all the way, I couldn't get it out, so I had to
lower the front of the car (it was jacked up in the back as far as it could
go).  I have not put it back in yet, so I can't tell you about that aspect,
but I have read that (as Matt suggested) you have to have the rear lowered
somewhat in order to reattach the strut rods without a great deal of
swearing.

Hope this helps!

John McMahon
1965 Monza coupe 110 manual trans