<VV> Fwd: Corvair performance

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Thu, 18 Mar 2004 21:39:17 -0500

First, take the cover off your oil cooler (under the alternator - easiest if
you just remove the alternator) and clean all the chaff, dirt, feathers,
hair, lint and other obstructions to air flow out of there. If you have
compressed air, blow through the oil cooler from BENEATH (right into your
face, where the stuff'll do less damage). If that doesn't do much good,
remove the top shroud (you'll have to take off just about everything else,
including carburetor, to get this off) and give the fins of your engine the
same treatment. You'll probably find a rag, maybe a dead mouse or bird, in
there. You've got to get cooling air over that engine, and THROUGH it.
     Rebuild your carburetors, making sure your jets aren't too small (49 is
the absolute smallest, I would say).
     And NEVER burn ANYTHING but PREMIUM gas, at least until you get the
knocking under control at NORMAL spark timing.
     Make sure both the damper doors at the bottom rear of the engine are
open when the engine is hot. Consider temporarily running without your lower
shrouds, again, until you get cooling and air flow under control.
     Give your combustion chambers a decoking. This is done with GM Top
Engine Cleaner (use according to instructions on the can) or with other
products from such producers as Wynn's.
     You don't need special equipment or modifications to get this engine to
run properly on premium gas.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp UNMODIFIED 4-speed with A/C