<VV> How much wiggle?

Jim Bannister jimster1@earthlink.net
Fri, 19 Mar 2004 01:24:55 -0800

Hi all,

After repairing my sheared of u-joints on my '66 Corsa, the right rear brake
started grabbing like crazy.  I pulled the drum to take a look and all
looked ok. No leaks or gook on the shoes or drum but I replaced the wheel
cylinder to be on the safe side. I noticed that after remounting the wheel
that there was a fair amount of play in the rear wheel bearing.  It runs
quietly and turns very smoothly, but the wiggle has me concerned.  The
manual says max .006" end play.  If you grab the tire and shake it, how much
movement is allowed.  After shearing the u-joints on both sides, I want to
make sure that something else wasn't damaged in the process.

On the left side, there seems to be even more wiggle at the tire and if you
really put your foot on it, you can move the top of the tire in about
1\2"-3\4".  I can see the rear spring move to so I'm thinking that some of
the trailing arm and strut rod bushings may be shot.  Any words of wisdom
from the group?

Jim B.

'66 turbovert