<VV> Transmission Fluid (Manual)

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Fri, 19 Mar 2004 11:43:37 -0500

I've aired queries/complaints about my "crunchy" Saginaw (1966-69)
four-speed on VV, but don't recall any suggestion to move away from the
specified lubricant for the box.
     Do I understand that judicious substitution of lubricant, perhaps with
the Red Line product mentioned in Seth's message, would ameliorate the
crunchiness of my transmission (which otherwise is in tip-top condition,
with new blocker rings, new synchro springs, and new bearings)?
     Please confirm this if this is the case, along with any more-specific
information you can include or point to regarding alternative lubricants
that may help with this problem. Thanks.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed (crunchy) with A/C

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of Sethracer@aol.com
Sent: Friday, March 19, 2004 11:11 AM
To: flash@vicspdi.com; virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: Re: <VV> Transmission Fluid (Manual)

The irony with manual trans fluids is that you cannot have a real good
lube -
or the synchos won't work! You really walk a line between bearing lube and
synchro engagement! I suggest you check the Red Line Oil suggestions. They
have
a non-ATF style lube for earlier manual trans. Good stuff. Check a Red Line
website - http://www.redlineoil.com/   - Seth